Once again, there´s a four-day stretch of holidays approaching, with the resulting obligatory family visits. And, of course, food.
Having gotten, by now, almost two pounds below the limit of morbid obesity, what I aim for this year is not to regain during those days.
That means staying clear of chocolate eggs, brioches, Easter cake, bread, potatoes, and such like. And it may mean stepping on a few toes of people who take it as a personal insult if one doesn´t dig into every foodstuff they serve.
But the lesson from my Christmas experience has been clear enough.
I had believed I could go off the wagon "just for the holidays" and just climb back. What I got myself into instead was a seven-pound regain followed by several weeks during which my weightloss stalled and I had to do an inordinate amount of struggling with food cravings on top. All in all, the regain cost me about three months during which I barely managed to repair the damages from that seemingly small indulgence.
As it is, had I stuck to my guns during the Christmas holidays, I could have been below morbid obesity three months earlier.
What I have realized from that experience is that for me, there is no such thing as going off the wagon and just climbing back. That means, no more indulgences. Unless I want to find myself on the wrong side of that bridge from obese to overweight again, fighting to regain my ability to cross it.
After all, I still have 28 pounds to go to be normal-weighted again. And I have a deadline of sorts approaching for that, too. I want to enter the next decade of my life as a normal-weighted person. For that, I have a bit less than two years left. 28 pounds in 23 months is doable, but only if I don´t waste any of my available time by regaining and plateauing like I did over Christmas.
So, I´ll approach the chocolate bunny festival with egg-streme caution (there´ll be plenty of hard-boiled, colored eggs around, and those will, for me, be a better choice than those chocolate ones).
And I hope that this time I´ll manage to maintain.
I´ll be back after the holidays and promise full disclosure about how it went.
Until then,
Happy Easter!
Julia
No comments:
Post a Comment