2012/04/25

Lavender perfume

So, I picked up two packs of anti-moth yesterday. I had expected to find the old kind of moth paper or mothballs inside, but on opening them, I found it was little sachets smelling of lavender (I guess there was even some real dried lavender in there). These were, of course, fortified with some pesticide (not what I´d ordinarily use, but the cumulative moth damages have, by now, become high enough to call for radical countermeasures).
I also noticed some products heavy on lavender oil. Now I used to have a bottle of pure lavender oil in my household, but when that ran out, the shop where I had bought it had folded, so I didn´t replace it.
What is still on sale in our little town is dried lavender flowers- for making tea with, but I think they´ll work in sachets, too.
As I own a big stack of cloth handkerchiefs that I haven´t used any more since my pollen allergy has gone away (I probably grew out of it), the material for sewing some sachets is already there.
So, I´ll see if I can pick up some dried lavender over lunch break. And for this summer´s balcony planting (which hasn´t yet been done because there´s still the danger of night frost) there´ll be a couple of lavender bushes, too, to be harvested in autumn.
Putting some lavender sachets between my linens, sweaters, and into my other closet spaces might just keep those pesky beasts away for good.
And, of course, it smells good.
If I sew them myself, I´ll be having them for almost free, too- I have seen ready-made ones that were looking cute, but were rather expensive considering how little lavender could fit in there. Simple white ones will do the job as well, I´m certain.

Guess what, I am looking forward to that fresh-smelling closet!


Julia

No comments: