2012/04/11

Taken down a notch

...and not even downcast about it :). The notch in question, of course, is the one for the ten-kilo-slider on my scales, and I could, this morning, for the first time set the slider to the next lower decade.
Guess what, I have to do that just one more time to get back to a "normal-weighted" BMI, so it is actually quite a wonderful thing to do.
I started out recondensing myself at quite exactly 50 kilograms, that´s 110 pounds,  above my high-school weight. When I started on my weight loss journey, I didn´t even dare to dream of ever getting rid of more than half of those extra pounds. I thought I´d be glad if just ten kilos came off. Or if I ever got down to metric Onederland again, being able to say I didn´t have a three-digit weight in kilograms any more.
There was, actually, something extra scary to me about the amount of extra baggage I had accumulated that has to do with old weight measuring units. Here in Germany, they used to have a weight unit called a "zentner" that was identical to fifty kilograms. In English, that would be a (long) hundredweight (thumbs up to Wikipedia for finding out). There is a figure of speech used to describe a very big, burly male- a two-zentner man.  A zentner bag of potatoes was what a strong farm worker could just about carry on his back. I grew up with these images of what a zentner of weight meant. And here I was burdened with that exact amount of extra baggage, having to carry it all of the time.  Reaching that point was one of the darker days in my weight career.
I didn´t believe then that I would ever be able to even think about condensing all of that extra weight. Those 110 pounds´distance meant that such a goal would have appeared as unrealistic as the moon.
Today, I have recondensed 70 of them. Which brings me more than halfway to my high school weight.
I may not be able to get down as far as that, but I know now that I will be able to get as close as possible. After all, it´s "only" another 40 pounds to my high school weight, and just 26 pounds to a medically "normal" weight.
But the only thing that will get me there is perseverance and discipline.
So, I most definitely won´t celebrate this milestone with a box of chocolates.
But, just perhaps, with that cute narrow-waisted hot pink blazer I tried on this lunch break ;).



Julia

No comments: