2012/04/19

Sneaking out of my vices

I´m still deliberating with myself about when and how to quit smoking again. Well, actually, I keep coming up with excuses why I don´t just stop, period.
What I did today was buy the "light" version of my brand, which has half as much nicotine according to the package, in the hope of getting my body weaned off the high doses of nicotine it´s used to before going cold turkey. I don´t know if that will make it easier, but it´s as close as I dare to go to quitting today without, well, actually quitting. 
If I compare my different vices, there´s certainly a difference between being- a smoker, -a compulsive shopper,  -a compulsive overeater. And it´s one that should give me hope that I can kick that nicotine habit, namely, that with shopping and eating, I will never reach the point where I can forgo the activity completely, therefore, I am in both instances forced to find the sweet spot of balance between too little and too much. On the other hand, I do not face having to give up the activity for good, so I´ll still be able to enjoy a good meal, or a good bargain if it´s something I really need.
With cigarettes, I have found out the hard way that there is no middle ground for me. Either I don´t smoke at all, or I smoke a pack a day. So, if it´s not the latter I want, I will have to quit again. The good thing being that, apart my nicotine addiction screaming for more, there is no reason at all to ever smoke another cigarette.
Now if I could just get that little voice to shut up that keeps me grabbing for the pack of cigarettes whenever things get stressful... and avoid grabbing for the pack of peanuts instead...



Julia

1 comment:

MargieAnne said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. And I don't mind being called a senior citizen. I feel very old at the moment and I hope it's just the result of too many stressful things in the last year plus my current health issue, Bells Palsy, which is hopefully temporary.

I admire your determination to stop smoking. My husband took 3 separate goes and now after more than 20 years he's totally free .... but he is one of those weird people who don't seem to have a highly addictive personality.

I'm sure if you stick to your higher protein, low carb eating you should get through so I hope going light nicotine helps to make the final step easier.

I don't know whether this thought will help but one thing we noticed after John stopped smoking was our clothes and even the whole house did not smell so bad. I really appreciated that he smelled nicer. Now we both complain about the smell if we go out socially where others are smoking.