...no, not a hangover. My condensable weight.
I had noticed that my weight was, in spite of my efforts, practically stuck. What I hadn´t really noticed was how little sleep I had been getting during the last weeks.
The culprit? TV programmers who schedule the most interesting programs after the late night show, a comfortable lounge chair, and the fact that I like to sit together with DH, having those wonderful deep conversations that have a tendency to become even deeper with advancing hours at night.
Add to that a full-time occupation that requires me to get up for work rather early, and you get a sleep schedule that rarely even reaches the minimum seven hours.
And I am, actually, a long sleeper. I did an experiment when in the last stages of learning for my exams ( I could make free use of my time then). And I found out that, if I removed external stimuli like an alarm clock, or a schedule I had to meet, I was prone to sleep for about nine to ten hours before waking up naturally.
If I did that now there´d be no way I could meet all of my obligations.
But there´s one thing I can do. Not goof off mindlessly in front of the TV.
I´ll have to change that if I want to take good care of myself.
Perhaps I should set an alarm clock, not for getting up in the morning, but for going to bed at night. And resign myself to not watching those late late shows.
After all, most of the time I´m half asleep anyway by the time that I ought to go to bed.
And most of the programs will be re-aired anyway, too.
It´s the old story about wanting to have it all.
Wanting to know it all or to see it all have a similar effect. Because nobody can, in today´s world, watch all of the programs, or acquire all the knowledge.
The idea of an encyclopedia that contained all the knowledge there was could only have arisen at a time when mankind knew, all in all, very little.
And watching all of the programs became impossible on the day the second TV station went on air, because that´s when people had to decide if they wanted to watch program one or program two.
Deciding is what it is about. I have decided to live a healthier life, and that means I have to decide which things in my life are contributing to that and which ones aren´t.
It is always astounding to find out that there are still new things that I must factor in when trying to recondense myself.
Now I must try not to allow that insight to end up as another part of the pavement on a road to a very warm place...:).
Julia
No comments:
Post a Comment