2011/07/14

Eat for the heat

I don´t know about you, but I just don´t feel like having a heavy meal when it´s scorchingly hot outside. Which is fine with me because there are plenty of non-fattening things to eat, too.
Think, for example...
-Italian: as in caprese salad with mozarella and tomatoes, with some olive oil, balsamico and black pepper on top, and of course lots of fresh basil from our balcony garden,
-Mexican: as in tuna salad with fresh corn (frozen off the cob) and frozen mexican veggie mix that just has to be thawed halfway before mixing (keeps the salad cold and fresh, too), seasoned with chili powder and a few pickled capers for taste, and some olive oil, too, then left to thaw fully (takes about ten to fifteen minutes ).
-Indian: as in fried chicken breast seasoned with curry or tandoori spice, mixed with vegetables and fruit (I prefer ananas) , some roasted almonds sliced thinly and rice.

Now I know the natives of these countries doubtlessly have much better and much more original recipes to offer, but for me, these are things I can prepare fast (an important consideration because I work full time), and they are one heck of a lot tastier than most convenience dishes I could buy to just microwave.
What is also important for me is that I have much more control of which additives I consume if I cook our food myself. Which also means  not having to contend with any weird side effects from them.
I love to experiment with different ways of preparing food, and luckily, my DH likes most of it :). 
So, tonight, by his special request, will be Italian night again, with Caprese salad and -for him only-some ciabatta.
It will be one of those Tuscany evenings on our balcony again, surrounded by the aromes of fresh herbs and enjoying the cool evening air. Almost like a holiday. I´m looking forward to it.


Julia

No comments: