I ´ve stayed away from carbohydrates for two days now, going for protein shakes instead. The only carby thing that I´ve permitted myself was a handful of berries in my protein shake yesterday.
I know that´s not a sustainable way of eating, but I hope it won´t do too much harm over three days, until DH returns. And hopefully it will get my metabolism back in fat-burning mode.
Besides, at least during the day, these powdered protein shakes are rather practical. I shake them up with water (so, no milk to refrigerate that could go bad), and the best part is that the stuff I have at the office makes for a wonderfully chocolate-tasting concoction that tastes more like a milkshake than like a diet food. Which isn´t a small feat if I think back to the first such products that were commercially available. The bitter aftertaste they had was enough to keep me away from that kind of thing for ages.
I have found it easier to just stick to protein shakes than to control portions of other foodstuffs. Maybe I´m just lazy, but this works for me. I do, of course, supplement with a complete multivitamin/mineral to avoid deficiencies, and I do also, intermittently, eat meat, fish, vegetables, fruit and healthy fats (olive oil or linseed oil, anyone?). But not today, nor yesterday, nor tomorrow.
Actually, my stomach has been grumbling all night. But I know from earlier experiences that this stops soon if I don´t slip up. Besides, there´s still hot tea to drink to calm my tummy down at zero calories.
And I was down 0.4 kilos in one day. So, that seems to be by now the absolute limit of what I can do. Meaning I shouldn´t sweat it if I don´t condense myself faster than about half a pound a week, considering the fact that usually on the first day of a new regime there´s a water rush and a disproportionately big loss.
As it is, I´m just two kilos away from a territory I haven´t been in since 2002. Getting rid of this "core" fat won´t be as easy as getting rid of what I had on me for a shorter period of time. But, with patience, it is possible. And with perseverance.
Julia
No comments:
Post a Comment