2011/07/06

Limits of the possible

Of course, I am impatient to lose that excess weight. If there were a push-button that would magically make all of the fat go away at once, I´d probably be pushing it like crazy.
But there simply is no way past it.
One pound of fat equals roundabout 3500 calories.
My body, on an average day, uses up about 1800 calories.
Therefore, the theoretical maximum I could possibly lose, if I ate nothing at all, is about half a pound a day.
I have to keep reminding myself of that.
Of course, since I am working full-time, and have a household and a husband to take care of, a complete fast is out of the question. I have to be fully functioning, after all.
What I am aiming for right now is to stay about five hundred calories below my daily requirements.
And that, in turn, is going to amount to losing one pound a week, again, maximum.
Which means that I will take at least  another month to repair the damages from the last weeks.
And three months to go below the limit of morbid obesity.
Then again, three months, as a time span, is not so terribly long, is it?
I could be no longer morbidly obese in three months.
It would be a place I haven´t been since before the end of the last millenium.
And that is something to look forward to.
Actually, for a long time, I did not believe in my own ability to lose that weight any more. I had resigned myself to being stuck in a body that was functioning way below optimum level.
What, then, is different this time around? First of all, I started moving again. Nordic walking, to be exact, which is a lot kinder to my creaking joints than jogging. So, it was easier for me to keep it up.
And the second part is having discovered just how much I had been overeating without being aware of it. And then doing the right moves to correct that. That did involve investing in smaller sized crockery and pots, and training myself to always put food I wanted to eat on a plate or into a bowl first, so as to never eat anything directly out of the package.
Move more, eat less.
It´s almost insulting in its simplicity. I, for one, know that I´d have bitten the head off (figuratively, of course) anyone who would have dared to suggest to me that it was that simple. I had to go through the experience myself.
Reading of others who went through a similar experience just did not replace seeing it for myself.
Yes, it is possible for me to lose that excess weight.
Even if it does take time.


Julia

No comments: