2013/05/31

Open valves

We are, these days, having some of the worst rainfalls in years. Constant precipitation for almost a week, and neither the ground nor the sewers can take any more water. As they have predicted another  ten gallons of water per square meter (that is about a gallon per square foot) to come down in the next hours, part of it as hail, I have postponed the weekend shopping until tomorrow, hoping that the weather will clear up until then, or at least get a bit drier. 
Somebody please close the valves on those clouds... Luckily, we live neither adjacent to a river (though there is one about a quarter of a mile down from the street we live in, but that has excellent flood protection that was built after an inundation that rose high enough to enable people to navigate our street by boat. I have only seen photographs of that, and with the new measures it should not repeat itself), nor at the bottom of a hill (the rain has led to several muddy avalanches coming down on streets in the area already). 
As the tram lines aren't yet affected, either, I'll do some quick shopping after work for the articles we have run out of (namely bacon and eggs for breakfast). 
At times like these, I am glad to be living right in the middle of a not-so-small city and close to all the amenities one might need. 


Julia

No comments: