2013/06/03

Inundation

The valves were not closed. For another two days it has been raining without pause. We've been watching the weather and flood reports all day. This morning, looking out of the third-storey windows of our flat... the ground had disappeared under three feet of muddy brown water. Electricity has been turned off, the basement has completely filled up with the stinky brownish gunk, and I have no idea when we will get power back. The contents of our deep-freezer probably will not survive until then. 
As the colleague who would have to do my job were I to call in as being unable to come has been even harder hit, I have been braving the flood in a pair of old running shoes and my jogging dress, with my pants in a knapsack on my back. Goodness knows what is floating in that muck, and I just hope I did not catch anything from being immersed in it up to my waist. 
The forecast says even more rain, plus they will have to release even more water from an artificial lake upstream. So, the worst has not arrived yet. 
Of the cleanup that will have to follow in our cellar I don't want to think. 
Looks like Fate just gave me some big help with the decluttering I procrastinated on...

One doesn't usually think of how many things in our lives depend on electricity running smoothly. Or how dependent one is on clean water coming out of the wall. I am loading my phones and ipad at the office, as we still have electricity there. Our landline phones are dead, so we need the cell phones, especially since we need to stay in touch with MIL. 
And that fridge won't hold the temperature more than 24 hours. After that, goodbye to the contents of my pantry...

I only hope they will not have to turn off the water, too, even if we can only use it for washing right now.

And I hope the water won't rise much further...I don't even know if I will be able to return home tonight. 

Julia

No comments: