This morning's weigh-in: down half a pound from Saturday morning. So, that broken record does work.
I am, as per today, still grain-free except for rice and legume-free. The peanuts have been replaced with cashews and almonds. An interesting observation in that context is that those don't trigger the same urge to eat eat eat that peanuts do. I can eat one handful of them as a snack and stop, without having to fight the impulse of returning for another two or three handfuls.
Come to think of it, the same holds true for other legumes. Lentil soup, or split pea soup, for me always meant having at least seconds or even thirds, while a legume free vegetable soup had me satisfied after one bowl.
Which leaves me wondering about what other surprises might be ahead if I were also to ditch dairy. As a matter of fact, pure milk was never something I liked. In elementary school, there was a government-sponsored "school milk" program where every child got a 250 ml pack of either pure milk or cocoa a day. I regularly picked the chocolate version because the pure milk, to me, was disgusting. To this day, I eat cheese and yoghurt, but don't drink milk unless it has some flavoring agent inside to mask the taste. Now is that revulsion to the pure stuff my body trying to tell me something? Cheese and yogurt are both fermented forms of dairy which are supposed to be easier to digest for someone who is intolerant.
Going without bread has been alerting me to another factoid: there are foods that one would probably not eat in their pure state, but when they are put on a slice of bread, it's something that one considers a delicacy. Those Belgian pates, for example. I would probably not manage to eat more than a teaspoon of that stuff without bread, because it's so greasy. Or some high-fat specialty cheeses. Again, four slices on a slice of bread are no problem. The same four slices on a plate without bread would make me feel queasy.
Might it be that bread-eating and eating too-greasy food tie into each other? So that getting rid of the one will automatically reduce the other?
And what is it about foods that one only eats when they are heavily prepared, while the unaltered stuff would make one run? Real food should be so recognizable to the body that the body would also accept and digest it raw, barring cooking it for sanitary reasons.
Perhaps that is another thing to look into. Leaving out those things where my body won't accept the unaltered main ingredient.
Julia
No comments:
Post a Comment