Today is a legal holiday where I live, so I'm staying at home.
Yesterday's grocery run was quite a success, with a giant pack of pork schnitzels ( unbreaded) on sale which will make five meals' worth of meat. Two of them I put on the new ceramic grill for last night's dinner, and the rest went, bagged up in twos, into the freezer.
That grill promises to be one of the better investments in cooking appliances I made of late. That ceramic coating is absolutely non-stick, and after allowing the machine to cool down, wiped clean effortlessly with a wet microfibre cloth.
And the grill has already found its home. When not used, it sits on top of my microwave. Easy to grab and use.
Being able to fry a piece of meat, fish or poultry with no added grease and in less than half the time it would take if I used a pan will make preparing a home-cooked dinner even faster.
Most importantly, as I can clean it with soapy water, too, I can put fish on it without being afraid of everything after that coming out tasting, well, fishy. Which makes it even more versatile than my favourite cast-iron griddle pan. As those must not be cleaned with soapy water, no way I was going to fry fish in it.
Often, the range of our eating is determined by the range of equipment we have. The worst I had was a place where the only equipment was a fridge and a microwave. I ended up eating reheated prefab crap at home and bingeing on fast food when away from home. That underequipped kitchen was one of the things that conspired to get me above morbid obesity for the first time in my life.
Today, I am reasonably well-equipped in my kitchen. But there's still room for improvement. Especially after I removed a lot of things that were clutter.
Julia
No comments:
Post a Comment