2013/05/24

A matter of discipline

Someone claimed that any diet plan works as long as you stick to it. While I would not say that about a lot of plans I tried, and failed to get results in spite of following them to a "t", it is certainly true about what I am doing now. 
I started out recondensing myself in August 2010. That's when I found out that going high-protein, low carb was, for me, what made the pounds come off, something that more carb-heavy plans had not done. I ditched the breakfast cereal for bacon and eggs, I stopped buying bread and sweets, I exchanged my perennial vanilla pudding for protein shakes, and the pounds just melted off. 
Fast forward two years, during which I went from BMI 41 to BMI 29 point something, and I let myself become complacent. An occasional breakfast roll, some potatoes, one more handful of nuts. Nothing extravagant, no binges. Still, those small indulgences added up to a year-long stall. I kept dithering around that limit of obesity. To get things moving downwards again, I had to return to what had worked. 
Only now that I am once more sticking to my plan is that weight curve beginning to point downwards again. The damages of my off-plan year are rather reluctant to leave, and losses are considerably slower than when I first started losing. But that should not surprise me as my basal metabolic rate would be about 300 calories lower from the weight already lost. 
I don't know if I will reach my goal of being normal-weighted before turning fifty, but I am still aiming for it. After all, it's just 12 kilograms to go. And every single one of those kilograms I recondense is one less I have to drag around. 
So, what it amounts to is discipline. If I have that, I can still make goal in time. 


Julia

No comments: