2012/03/21

Through the barricade

As per this morning, I have reached a BMI of 29.9. Which means I am no longer clinically obese. Just overweight.
I haven´t been just overweight since the last millenium.
Most of this millenium, actually, I spent at a BMI between 40 and 42. It has taken me two years to come to this point.
And I am still a bit dizzy.
BMI below 30 means I have finished more than two thirds of the way down to a normal weight (defined as BMI smaller than 25).
What it definitely doesn´t mean is that I could or should stop recondensing myself. It´s an intermediate goal, though an important one, but I still have about thirty more pounds to go before I can call myself normal-weighted again.

In a book I leafed through at the mall some days ago, the author, who had lost a great amount of weight on a programme at a hospital, described an exercise that she was made to do before leaving. It consisted of putting on a vest with lots of pockets, which were then loaded with lead weights up to the amount she had lost. Thus attired, they made her climb some stairs and walk around. The exercise was done to remind her of what it had been like to be at her starting weight, so she´d not forget what it had felt like.

For me, there´s one thing I know: the difference between BMI 42 and BMI 29 is so big that I can only guess at what difference those last thirty pounds would make. 

I am intending to find out.
Even if it takes another two years.


Julia

No comments: