I happened to meet an old neighbour today on the way to work. She stopped in her tracks, looked at me, and asked in a whisper: "How much weight did you lose?"
That was the good part.
And then came a reminder of things past which I had, while not forgotten, put into a very secluded place of my memory.
"Didn´t you lose so much weight when you were living in the same house as we were, already?"
I did. And then I thought I didn´t need to follow up with watching what I put in my mouth. And I gained all of it back, and then some. And found myself third-degree obese, almost immobile, and despairing of ever losing weight again.
I mentioned before that there is a time between the 80s of last century and the change of the millenium of which I have no data about my weight. I actually avoided the scales during that time a lot. Especially when I could already feel that I had been gaining.
It was during that time that I lost the weight my neighbour talked about. She did, today, even admit that her husband had suspected me of having gotten weight loss surgery, which I hadn´t.
The only thing that I had been doing was...
...you guessed it. Protein shakes for breakfast and journalling what I ate. I had, back then, the old Weight Watchers (TM) programme on a compact disk ( that was before they started their online stuff). Which, finally that I remember now, is also the explanation for the big gap in my weight lists. I had simply kept that list with that programme, and when that became unusable because it wouldn´t work with the more recent operating systems any more, hadn´t bothered to save the data before abandoning the former platform for good.
Today, I wish I had. Saves me right for not backing up my data.
But I digress.
The reminder, to me, was of what would happen if I stopped doing what I do now, if I stopped watching my weight and what I eat, if I were to just go back to mindlessly munching.
These things have been catapulting me back into Obesity Hell once already.
This time, I must not ever forget the lesson to be learned from the past.
I needed that reminder. Even if it came in the guise of a compliment.
Don´t stop doing what works, and don´t go back to doing what didn´t work.
Julia
No comments:
Post a Comment