2012/03/20

Creeping closer

I know, I know. Getting below one´s basal metabolic rate in calories may kick you into starvation mode.
But I am wildly determined to break the barrier of obesity within this week, before DH comes back. So, I have been skipping dinner, mostly, and limited myself to about half of what I usually eat. And things are moving, albeit slowly, in the right direction. Per this morning, I was 250 grams away from that limit. 0.55 pounds. And at a weight I haven´t had since about the turn of the millenium.
I know that the way I eat this week is not sustainable in the long run, but that´s not what it´s about. What matters is that I need to break this barrier, to motivate myself to go on doing the right thing.
Um, what? no, I don´t presently do execise. Guess what, I did lose another ten kilos since stopping, so, it´s obvious that what I do doesn´t work just because I am expending so many calories. Which is the point.
You cannot out-exercise a bad diet, as someone said. If one gets the facts on metabolism, the basal metabolic rate (that´s what your body expends when you are doing nothing but just living) accounts for the majority of calories used, while one would have to do some rather heavy exercising to use up anything like a similar amout by exercising. Just try and google for those web sites that tell you how many minutes of exercise you have to do to offset the calories of a single cheeseburger or one piece of cake.
I, for one, am full-time employed and simply don´t have time to do more than sixty minutes a day of any activity on top of what I must do. Nor am I ready to sacrifice all of these sixty minutes to getting sweaty and out of breath.
So, if I want to use up all those calories stored away in my condensable matter, what I must do is refuel my body below the amount it uses up. Which is just what I do now.
And no, with some thirty pounds to go till I am normal-weighted again, I´m not in danger of running out of fuel anytime soon. Besides, when I have broken that barrier, I promise I´ll take it a bit easier again. This is, after all, a long-term project.


Julia

No comments: