2012/03/21

Herbs and spice and anything nice

That´s what constitutes an important part of my weight loss success.
You see, I just dislike bland foods. For me, things have to taste good.
Many so-called "diet"foods, unfortunately, fall in the "bland" category. Which is where my spice drawer comes in. I have a big drawer in my kitchen filled with all kinds of spices.
Curry, tandoori spice, parsley, oregano, tarragon, chili, savory, dill, mugwort, herbes de provence, ginger, cinnamon, curcuma, sage, caraway.
No dish, ever, leaves my kitchen the preparation of which doesn´t involve a foray into that drawer.
The advantage of spices and herbs is two-fold. For one, they give flavor to even the most bland-tasting ingredients.
I can use chicken breast for cooking several days in a row and have it taste totally different every time. Think Italian (oregano and tomatoes, or sage), Indian (curry and curcuma), French (herbes de provence).
Their second advantage is that they do even facilitate digestion, in some cases. I´d never do a dish that contains cabbage in any form without adding some ground caraway seeds, or one with goose meat in it without a sprinkle of mugwort.
The medicinal properties of herbs are another matter that bears some researching.
To me, they are mostly secondary. What matters is that a well-seasoned dish is, to me, so satisfying that I need to eat a lot less of it to feel sated than if it were some tasteless mush.
And that, in the long run, helps me stick to my guns where portion control  is concerned.



Julia

No comments: