2011/03/21

Son of a gun!

I have reached a major milestone on my weight loss journey this week.
20 kilograms off my highest recorded weight.(That´s 44 pounds for the metrically challenged).

DH, when I told him about it, tried to think of something to compare that weight to. What he came up with was a memory from his time in the army: "That´s more than the weight of a machine gun", which, if memory serves him right, weighs some 16 kilos. He then proceeded to tell me about how difficult it had been to have to carry that thing all day during maneuvres (sp?). And I could only tell him that he´d been lucky- he could, after all, put the weight down at the end of a day, and not have it put down on his chest when laying down to sleep.

For me, as an "also housewife", the thing to compare 20 kilos to is two full buckets of water.Big ones.
And that´s what I had to drag around every day, from morning till night.

When buying a suitcase, or a laptop, I look for even a single kilo less to drag around.
It´s hard to realize  that I have been, for a long time, less careful about my body than about my luggage. Actually, I had given up all hope of ever getting my body back into the shape it used to be, a long time ago.
And I know I´m not even halfway back there.
But this time, I believe I can do this. And that makes all the difference in the world.


Julia

No comments: