2011/03/16

Hanging on by numbers

Two lousy pounds.
That´s the total of what I lost during the last four weeks.
And it almost gets lost under the day-to-day variations.  Luckily, I have kept daily records of my weight, and they prove that my weight is, indeed, still edging downwards, even though it moves slowly.

I have mostly stuck to my eating plan, but stopped exercising, which explains a lot.
I usually go Nordic walking for half an hour before breakfast, but during the winter months stopped doing so because it was too dark (the route I take isn´t well-lit, so, there´s real danger there) and too cold.
Now that spring is approaching again, I´ll have to get started again- not so easy because it´s still quite cold in the mornings.

Meanwhile, I have to take the losses as they come.
Two pounds in four weeks would mean, at that going  rate, 24 pounds in a year.
Doesn´t sound so lousy at all, does it?
It´s the same thing that makes us miss our weights rising when they do so in small increments. You keep telling yourself it´s just half a pound from week to week, and suddenly you wake up to the fact that you have some thirty or forty pounds extra on your bones that you weren´t *really* aware of gaining.

I had to travel by train several times in the last months, and, having to change trains several times during those trips, I did, of course, try to have as little baggage as possible. And, out of curiosity, I weighed my bags before the trip.
So, I had that big red bag sitting on my trusty scales. It felt really heavy. And then the number- and I was flabbergasted to see that it weighed *less* than the weight I had lost already.
I stood there with my mouth open, staring at that bag with the realization that I had been dragging along more than its weight every day, every step of the way.
It was a really educating experience, seeing that bag.
Oh, and I would get rid of more than that bag were I to go on losing two pounds a month for a year.

So, I will keep hanging on. Little things do add up.


Julia

No comments: