Going through my clothes and shoe wardrobe weeding out what has, by now, become way too big has left me in a strange twilight zone of indecision emotionally.
On the one hand, I have enough replacements in my current size to ensure that I would be properly clad even if I were to throw all of the "fat" stuff out.
On the other hand is the fear of regaining. What if I won´t be able to maintain? I have been in that place more than once, ending up having to replace my wardrobe twice in a short time after first losing, then regaining a sizeable amount of weight.
But then again, if I keep the fat clothes, that implies I don´t believe in my ability to keep the weight off, doesn´t it?
The plain truth is, I have no guarantee whatsoever that I will not regain.
When I was younger, I used to justify the keeping of oversized clothes after a weight loss with the possibility of becoming pregnant and then needing maternity wear.
But. to get real, for one that isn´t very likely any more at my age, and also, the time span when a pregnancy would require maternity wear at all is, from what I hear, no more than the last trimester.
So, that´s not an excuse for hanging on to the oversized stuff now.
The other part is the things I cannot replace. I have, for example, several practical blouses in a wash-and-wearable fabric that come in colors which I like, but which are not very likely to come back into fashion anytime soon. And yes, apart from their being too big for me, I regret having to let them go.
But then, keeping them on top of my closet in a box means feeding the thought of fitting in there again (eeek) into my subconscious. And what than can lead to, I have seen more than once.
I think the fastest way out of that dilemma is to decide and take all that stuff to the Red Cross (they have a used clothes collection place hereabouts similar to Goodwill). I may be hankering after some of the clothes for a while, but then again, it´s not as if I ever wanted to be fat enough again to wear them.
So, this weekend, I´ll enlist the help of DH for getting the stuff out of the house. There may be another woman out there who might enjoy those clothes as much as I did.
And I might feel a bit more secure in my achievement so far if I didn´t keep provisions around for the event of failure.
Julia
No comments:
Post a Comment