2013/06/09

Beep beep

Ordinarily, that sound would signal a major annoyance. It's my freezer's alarm that goes off whenever the temperature inside gets too high. 
Today, it's the most beautiful noise (cue Neil Diamond) I could imagine, because it means we are, after six days of no electricity, back on the grid, and our technical gadgets have survived the switchoff without damage.
Thank God.
Cleanup ops in our city are continuing. At every street there are heaps of soaked and unusable stuff. The trash removal guys are doing overtime filling and carting away garage-sized containers.
By now, people are beginning to question the way the catastrophe was handled by the Government. It looks as if things were dealt with rather inefficiently and damages could have been less if they hadn't. 
It makes no difference to the work at hand. I am, presently, through with clearing out the cellar. The stuff that's left in there is waterproof and cleanable stuff that I intend to keep. The two boxes of soggy paper I had taken to the balcony to sort are mostly empty. Nothing important in there, but some papers with personal data on that need shredding before discarding, so I have to take every single sheet and decide if it can be tossed at once. Two bags of immediate goners are already in the container in front of our house. Having to do the sorting with rubber gloves because the papers are all mucky doesn't help sorting speed. But sort them I must. Were I to procrastinate, the work would get ickier by the minute. 
So it's back to work.
As we did not know when electricity would be back, the food situation is still not back to normal. Too many carbs. I'll look at the damages when I can restart to eat normally. 
But after this experience, beating myself up because I have probably regained is the last thing on my mind. 
We still have no gas, which means no hot water for showering. I am beginning to admire the old Spartans... washing my hair with ice-cold water gives me a headache every time. .oh well.

Force majeure, I think the French call it. An act of powers higher than us. 
I hope there won't be a repetition anytime soon. 


Julia

No comments: