2013/04/18

Raw-rrrr!

Due to the limited storage capacities in my kitchen and the fact that we grocery shop, at most, biweekly, for the longest time, produce, in our household, meant almost exclusively pre-cut and frozen vegetables which were then heated up for eating. While that is still better than no veggies at all, it's probably less than optimal as to nutritients.
About three weeks ago, I acquired a brand-new refrigerator. It was a present from my parents, and at their suggestion, I picked a big model with all the bells and whistles.The most important difference to my old fridge is that it has two drawers in the cooling compartment. One of them can be regulated down to almost the point of freezing, and that is where produce goes. My parents have a fridge like that and kept rhapsodizing about how fresh it keeps everything, so, I was pretty curious how that thing would work out.
In short- my parents were right. For the first time in ages, I have been buying radicchio, iceberg salad, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers and lamb's lettuce, all in amounts that were too big to be eaten at one meal. All in all, about two weeks' worth of greens. Had I done that under the old conditions, I would have ended up throwing away at least half of what I bought because it would have spoiled faster than we could eat it. This time, I had ample time to use up everything. That crisper drawer really keeps the produce fresh much longer than just dumping them into an ordinary fridge. Highly recommendable for everybody who enjoy their salad and greens.
What with being able to store fresh raw produce now, in the state it grew in instead of all mushy when thawed, I am actually going to try out some new things, namely, raw veggies which I have only known cooked or at least steamed. Spinach is one thing that comes to mind, and broccoli. Kale, which is supposed to be very nutritious, too, is, unfortunately, only available fresh here in late autumn. But I'll keep looking for it.
What with having a big ass salad of mixed fresh greens seasoned with olive oil and a can of sardines, or tuna, or some browned bacon bits on top almost every day for two weeks, it has been easier for me to stay below my calories and within my carb allotment.
Which has led to a slight case of the so-called carb flu, I think. But that is a passing thing. The better nutrition makes more than up for it.
And my weight is finally going downwards again, slowly but noticeably.


Julia

No comments: