2013/04/17

Limitations of the possible

After more than one year of, for all practical purposes, dithering around the same old weight, plus or minus a bit, I should suppose that by now, my body has fully adapted to being at said weight, namely, just around the limit of obesity.
Coming from a BMI of over 40, getting to around 30 has been making quite a difference in how I live. I feel better, I can move better, I look better.
But this is just two thirds of the way to the place I really want to be, namely, being normal-weighted again. I still have fifteen kilograms to go until there.
Losing the first thirty kilos took me about two years.
During that time, my basal metabolic rate went down about by 300 cal./day, just from losing the weight.
Which means that now I may eat 300 cal. less to achieve the same results. Or I need to expend 300 cal. more.
Even then, what I may consume runs around 1300 calories a day, giving me an average loss of about 350 grams (0.7 pounds) a week if I want to get to goal by the time I'm turning fifty.
While I know that that kind of mathematics is far from precise, it keeps me from getting my hopes up too high as to what is possible for me to achieve,
Those 1300 calories have, in my experience, been a level I feel rather comfortable with when it comes to eating. I can have three meals of real food a day on that, plus a healthy snack ( as in yoghurt or an apple), and I'm not ravenously hungry all the time.
But, the weight comes off slowly.
Faster losses would mean eating even less, or using up a lot more by exercise, without eating more afterwards.
My impatience is telling me to go for it anyway. Reason tells me I must not risk taking in too little fuel to properly nourish those pounds I want to keep. I did that once, living off prepackaged 800 calories a day for several months, until the day I fell on my face fainting in the University library. What with my present (much higher) workload I cannot risk anything of the kind happening again. So, it's not a matter of making excuses, really. I have to stay in working order even if it means taking longer to get that weight off.

And once again, getting my body back into recondensing mode takes quite a while. During the last weeks, I mostly stayed under my calories for the day, which is good, and I got plenty of fresh, nutritious real food.
There ought to be some results coming for that, no?


Julia

No comments: