Last weekend had the coldest weather on record hereabouts for October, with snow and ice galore. Nothing as bad as hurricane Sandy, of course, but enough to keep us from attempting the journey to visit MIL on Saturday as planned- we didn´t have our winter tyres on yet as we weren´t counting on snow before November. Which means DH has driven down there on Sunday alone so he could take care of the appointments this week he was going down there for, while I am staying here on my own.
Which means I have plenty of time for catching up with the things that need doing in the household. Add to that the fact that Wednesday is a legal holiday hereabouts, and thus not an office bound day, and what you get is one big decluttering action. The first thing I did today was deal with the mess on the balcony. The geraniums, which had until Friday been blooming beautifully, didn´t take too kindly to being frozen stiff and snowed in. So I emptied out the balcony flower boxes today, and then took everything down to the cellar including some empty flower pots I had kept under the balcony table. The rosmary and lavender bushes now reside in the bathroom, as that is the only window sill that doesn´t have a radiator underneath.
Taking that stuff down, plus putting the recycling stuff down into the bins, too, actually meant several trips up and down four flights of stairs, so I got my exercise, too.
The balcony looks tidy now, but also quite empty. It´s always a strange feeling to take down the remnants of summer, knowing it will be six months at least before I´ll be able to replant my balcony. The trees, too, have been dropping their leaves after the frost, so, it´s definitely autumn going on winter.
Time to break out the hot tea and some cookies. I think after running up and down stairs all afternoon I can afford to.
Julia
No comments:
Post a Comment