2012/10/23

The opposite of falling

Ever noticed that weight acts just the opposite of other physical bodies? Not on your scales, of course, but whenever my weight vacillates, it's going up real fast, like, two pounds in a single day, and it regularly takes several days to get rid of these again. Which is exactly what happened to me again. I've managed to stop that upwardly mobile elevator, but climbing down again...takes time.
Some weight loss bloggers are, right now, pouring vitriol on those of us who are not, in their opinion, eating as perfectly as they are, or not exercising as much as they are.
Shouldn't everybody remember that everybody is different?
If I remember correctly, there are studies that prove that willpower is by no means an inexhaustible resource. So, if your resistance to certain foods depends on willpower alone, you're quite likely doomed to break down whenever you had to use up your willpower on something else that day.
Which means one thing. You have to replace willpower with something else. One possible replacement is called habit. Once something becomes a habit, you won't need any willpower to keep it up.
The other replacement is planning. You cannot eat what you do not keep where you can eat it, so, not bringing certain foods into your house is the best insurance against gorging on them, if you can keep yourself from going out to get them. That way, the time you have to exert willpower is limited to the time you spend at the supermarket- if the chips stay there you cannot eat them at home.
Or- and that is one thing that some weight loss bloggers are damning vehemently- you can plan in advance what you will do in a certain situation. If you have kids, or a DH who likes to nosh, it's not always feasible to have no sweets at all in the house, unless you want to waste your willpower on contending with their demands. What you can do instead is plan what you yourself can and will eat of that stuff and work that into your plan.
For me, for example, that means hands off DH's chocolate bars, but in case of extreme chocolate cravings, I allow myself two or three squares of dark chocolate which are sold individually wrapped, so I take out what I allow myself to eat and put the rest out of sight.
Or, it may mean having to partake in traditional foods so as not to hurt the feelings of my relatives. If I don't go completely overboard, the damage to my weight loss is minor, which I, for one, prefer to major fallouts in the family.
It's not about excuses, it's about decisions.
The more decisions I make before I get into a situation, the less willpower will I use up when the situation is there.
So, it's actually good policy to start thinking about what I will have at the family christmas dinner today.


Julia

No comments: