2012/10/01

Back To Square 61

As you might have guessed from my prologed absence, I´ve been extremely busy during the last two weeks.
Unfortunately, this also meant being careless about what I ate. Either I had no time left to cook after coming home from an exhausting day of work, so I went for whatever was around to eat that didn´t require preparation (which usually meant bread), or I resorted to convenience stuff like frozen pizza. Add to that the fact that my job involves a lot of mental work but very little physical exertion, and my sadly deep-ingrained pattern of reacting to extreme stress by eating sweet and crunchy food like chocolate and nuts, and several consecutive nights of almost no sleep (don´t ask...) and what you get is a recipe for desaster.
Which did hit me hard this morning when I set foot on my scales again.
I have, during just two weeks of not watching what I ate, gained back a whopping seven pounds. From the lowest point I had reached this year, that means up a total of more than eleven pounds. It also means I am, once again, above that limit of morbid obesity that took me so long to break in the first place.
But I don´t intend to stay there any longer than absolutely unavoidable.
So, it´s back to square 61 (the distance to my top weight this morning in pounds).
Which means cut out the sugar and bread, no snacking on nuts while working, and if possible, get a decent night´s sleep, plus keep portions small again and stop eating mindlessly to get rid of stress.
The scary part isn´t only how fast I´ve slipped back into my old habits, but also how fast the weight went up again as soon as I did.
Besides, just two weeks of eating crap again have been enough to make the cravings return in full force. The same ones that I thought I had left behind when I started my weight loss journey. It´s almost as if the mere idea of ceasing to be vigilant were blowing everything I had reached out of the window.
Or perhaps there really is truth to the claims about wheat and sugar being physically addictive.
Either way, this has to stop, fast. Before I end up, not on square 61, but still further back in Area 51, or worse. 

Keep calm and carry on.

Julia

No comments: