2011/08/22

Recipe monday: Zucchini wasps

Low-carb and kiddy-proof dinner for two (or more, if the zucchino is big enough)
1 bi-i-ig zucchino, cut lenghtwise and hollowed out, but with the skin still on to keep everything together,  
put a thin coating of olive oil all over its surface and set it on an ovenproof dish.
Into the hollow comes a mix of ground beef, onions (cubed), concentrated tomato puree, pepper, salt and lots of oregano. Top it off with a generous sprinkling of grated cheese. 30 to 45 minutes in the oven, at the temperature you´d use for pizza,  and dinner is ready. (I don´t do temperature conversion,  but I use 180 degrees centigrade)
Why I call these wasps? I cut a thin stripe of the skin off the bottom of the hollowed-out zucchini to keep them from toppling over, and I cut narrow stripes from it and put them on top of the filling before I put the cheese on. The end result looks like a big wasp without wings, so, with a bit of creative decorating... :).

Enjoy!

Julia

No comments: