- no, that´s not a linguistic slipup. It´s my words being un-scrambled by me kicking myself in the tush.
After not exactly "alighting" from my scales this morning, that is. I had a craving for a nice hot bowl of Bihun soup yesterday, which I did indulge. The manufacturer of those soups likes to point out that one can of them has less calories than an apple. What they don´t mention is that the taste, other than from chili pepper, comes mainly from a big load of natrium chloride, aka salt.
So, while not adding a significant amount of calories (after all, this was supposed to be dinner), I got myself a bad case of water retention that somewhat messed up my weigh-in today. Knowing it´s water doesn´t make it less frustrating.
Next time I get a yen for Asian soups, I should, perhaps, try to cook one from scratch.
And read the labels more carefully before believing something is harmless weight-wise.
Even if I do not have high bp yet, I don´t need the extra stress on my body that such amounts of salt create.
My health must be more important than the salty taste, which is an acquired taste anyway. Come to think of it, the time isn´t so long gone when salt was so precious and rare that they paid its weight in gold for it, and many people didn´t even have any in their kitchens. Only when salt became widely available did we start to believe that everything has to be salted to be edible. Just look how many sweet foodstuffs have salt in them. It´s almost as bad as the hidden sugar that is contained in things as unlikely as lunch meat.
But that´s another post alright....
Julia
No comments:
Post a Comment