2011/04/27

Side effects included

Seems I was right about that extra weight acquired over Easter being water retention. This morning I was already back down by over a pound, and I am right now sipping a big cup of tea (unsweetened, of course) in the hope of flushing the rest out.
There was a very interesting post out today by Princess Dieter who also describes having a noticeable reaction to eating carbs. It is reassuring to see that there are other people around who have similar problems. After all, the official food pyramid in this part of Europe still has carbohydrate rich foods at the bottom, expecting people to ingest sixty percent of their daily intake in the guise of more-or-less complex carbohydrates.
I, too, have for quite awhile suffered from regular fatigue attacks after eating carbohydrate rich foods for lunch, so badly that I have even fallen asleep for short periods at my desk more than once.
And these fatigue attacks have completely disappeared after I stopped eating carbs for lunch.
I found out that unsweetened yoghourt, hardboiled eggs, or turkey meat, or even a protein shake, get me through my workday just fine, and without the former postprandial slump.
What this requires is taking the food I want to eat for lunch to the office, because there are literally no eateries in the vicinity that don´t have a lot of carbohydrates in what they serve (picking the meat of a burger out from between the bun and a gob of sugar-laden ketchup or other condiment isn´t my idea of fun, exactly).
And the best part- I have been losing weight doing this.
And that makes it a lot easier to deal with people who still say, "but you must eat bread/potatoes/rice or you´ll get sick".
There´s no argument like success, is there?


Julia

No comments: