2011/04/19

Croak!

Yesterday´s headache, it seems, was a harbinger of worse things to come. Namely, a bout with the common cold. My throat feels as if I had been breakfasting on razor blades (actually, they were two eggs sunny side up), and I sound like one of the crows that sit on the highest tree in our street every evening just before nightfall. So, I´ll try not to speak too much. Having to visit the pharmacy for throat lozenges once again is annoying.
But, the weekend´s weight gain is gone again, which is reassuring.

Thinking about rearranging our rooms entails thinking about how much stuff has been accumulating in my chests of drawers over the years. (I stopped myself just in time from writing "in my drawers", remembering these are undergarments in British parlance:)) Actually, there are four chests of drawers that at present occupy one full wall in my bedroom but which would not fit into the new bedroom at all. So, there are all in all twelve drawers plus several boxes of knicknacks that rest on top of them which would have to be emptied out and weeded out, too.
The vexing part is that I did not have these things when I first moved into this town. Somehow all of my possessions fit well into the closet I had, which also sported a set of drawers on one side. So, another case of portion creep-this time following the old rule that clutter, if unchecked, can and will expand to fill every available space in the house.
What it also shows is that buying new furniture and storage boxes does not make clutter disappear.
As Flylady uses to say, you can´t organize clutter.
That is something I have to remind myself of, too. Because the four-chests-of-drawers problem was, in the beginning, a two-chests-of-drawers problem. Only when those were overflowing did I get myself numbers three and four.
The result was not the hoped-for relief, but rather twice as much clutter.
And now this clutter is making the rearranging project so much more difficult than it would be had I just stuck to using the built-in drawers in my closet.
The next evenings, I intend to take the boxes and drawers out and throw as much as possible of their contents away. Perhaps, if I rearrange the drawers in my closet, I´ll be able to set at least one or two of  the chests of drawers free then.
I´m probably in for some surprises, too, because I do not even remember what is inside some of those drawers. But that gives me hope, too, because it is not likely that something I don´t even remember I have  could be something I need to keep.
So, I am curious how far I´ll be able to condense the contents of these drawers.

To be continued.....


Julia

No comments: