2011/04/11

Seesawing down

Just in time after the weekend I found this in my blog reader.
Just in time for kicking myself after getting off the scales, actually. I know it´s partly water retention from eating a bowl of chinese soup (very salty) yesterday, but I´m still oscillating up and down the same two pounds for four weeks now.
And, just as Ms. Freedhoff describes it, it´s downward during the week and up by Monday.

Then again, I *did* have some sort of victory this weekend.
For years, DH and I had planned to visit the city where he went to university. And as long, he had been telling me about a cafe there that has, in his words, the best cakes in the world.
So, when we visited his old university town this weekend, guess where he invited me. Of course, this being such a rare event, I did order two pieces of cake, creamy, chocolate-y deliciousness on a plate, and one of their equally delicious pots of hot cocoa with whipped cream. DH hadn´t been promising too much as far as the quality of what was offered was concerned.
Why that was a victory of sorts? well, two years ago there would not have been any way I could have gotten out of there without having consumed at least three or four pieces of cake, stuffing myself to the point of bursting because I was, then, unable to discern the point of "enough".
This time- I did not even finish the two pieces of cake on my plate, feeling full after just one and a half.So, I left half a piece of cake on my plate, being satisfied with what I had eaten. And I did not even regret not being able to eat more.
What´s more, I did not binge the next day, either. That has always been a problem for me, that I found it hard not to binge after overeating. All too often, I have eaten to the point of feeling queasy, and then continued to eat *because* I was feeling queasy. Doesn´t make a lot of sense, does it?
Being able not to do that, even when facing such a delicious temptation, is a big step forward for me.
So, even though my weight ist stuck, I think I´m on the right way.
And next weekend there´ll be no cake to tempt me....

Julia

No comments: