As I mentioned before, I work extremely irregular hours, sometimes with little opportunity to get in some nourishment in-between what turns up on my calendar.
Breakfast is at 8 a.m., consisting of two eggs fried on two strips of bacon, and that will usually tide me over until noon. But, as I'm usually not home before six p.m., I still need something to eat in between if I don't want to become all grumpy by midafternoon.
I tried different things. Pasta, made in the microwave, left me becoming fatigued after eating it, even if the calories were right. The offerings of nearby eateries were all too greasy or too carby. Anything that was already prepared, like the day before's leftovers, was inconvenient to bring to work and besides, as I never know when I will have time to eat, and the office fridge is in an unguarded room where there have been instances of food theft more than once, I can't bring food that needs to be kept cool, either, so no salads, yoghurt, or sandwiches, either, apart the fact that the latter would also provoke fatigue due to their high carb content.
What I do now is keep a can of protein powder in my office, and a plastic shaker. One, or two if the day is a long one, protein shakes keep me full without too many calories.
On the meal planning side, having the same thing every morning and noon makes it a lot easier for me to stick to my caloric limit for the day.
And I can be certain of having had enough protein, no matter what dinner will be.
Julia
No comments:
Post a Comment