With both of us working full time outside the house, the time we spend actually inside our flat (and awake) is mainly in the evening and on weekends. As the house we live in is situated at the bottom of a valley, so, the sunlight is blocked by a mountain , and the windows of our living room are facing southwest, that means we usually have to turn on the lights rather early if we want to avoid that cavern feeling. Which, in turn, led to a proliferation of light-emitting stuff, as in lamps, more lamps, candle holders, LED lamps, and more such like occupying the better part of the available horizontal surfaces.
The thing being that several of these illuminating devices weren´t even plugged in, and thus didn´t even provide any illumination, while several others were rarely if ever switched on because the light they gave was too feeble to make a substantial contribution to the overall brightness of the room.
For some time now, that is, since the too-many-chairs epiphany, I had been feeling a vague unease about the things on top of our shelves. I think I found another culprit for the general cluttered feeling of our living room.
Thus, today was lamp reduction day. The LED lamps, which I had originally intended to be spotlighting some artwork on the wall, were the first to be removed. Then I proceeded to the unplugged lamps. One of them is DH´s, an electrified version of a petroleum lamp with a brass foot and orange glass lampshade. It looks pretty enough, but with the original arrangement (that had another narrow glass cylinder inside the lampshade) you couldn´t put fluorescent bulbs in there. I have, tentatively, removed that cylinder and inserted a fluorescent bulb- if DH agrees to that solution, that lamp will be used again. For another of his lamps, I´ll have to get a new lightbulb, too.
Of the candlesticks, I removed all of mine and left only one of DH´s which is rather decorative, too.
Then I added a stronger lightbulb to a bone china decorative lamp, which now shines a lot brighter than it used to, and replaced that where the LED lamps used to be..
The overall effect is, once more, stunning. Less visual clutter, less cables hanging around.
The only downside is that I now have those LED lamps lying around. They were outrageously expensive when we bought them because the technology was very new then, but right now, they just don´t have a home. Still, I´m not ready to throw them out. Perhaps I´ll find another use for them, but until then, they´ll rest inside a storage bin instead of cluttering up my living room.
Tonight, I´ll see what else I can do to improve the lighting and reduce clutter. But once again, it seems that removing the excess is the way to go.
Isn´t it always.
Julia
No comments:
Post a Comment