2012/08/20

Summer he-e-e-e-a-a-t wave

It´s hot. Like, really hot. Melting-the-tarmac hot. The tram that passes by our house is squeaking with the rails being warped by the heat, and everybody is just fighting to keep their cool.
Luckily, the hottest days were the ones over the weekend, so at least I didn´t have to work there, and the good news is that my colleague´s vacation is over, too, so I can finally concentrate on my own stuff again.
And the big electric fan- which I keep under my desk, pointing at my feet, so as to have maximum refreshment with minimum flying papers- is making things at the office almost bearable.
Still, above thirty degrees centigrade outside means my edema has come back, too, and the water I retain messes up my weigh-ins quite spectacularly. Knowing it´s just water retention makes it somewhat less frustrating, but I´d still prefer to be rid of it again, which isn´t going to happen soon as the heat wave is supposed to stay on at least for another week.
We went grocery shopping on Saturday, before things really heated up, and our fridge is now stocked with plenty of ingredients for salad dinners to last us through the next couple of days. So, on the calories-in side, I can stick below my limits, and if I do so, I can be certain that there will not be a "real" gain and it will all come off again when temperatures drop.
Being stuck inside all weekend, except that shopping excursion, als meant being able to enjoy the new arrangement in our living room. DH had been grumbling a bit when I told him on the phone what I had done, but when he saw it agreed at once that this was better. The paper embargo, too, has been working miracles. Well, not exactly, because the papers that used to clutter up our living room are now resting on the guest bed pending their being tidied up by DH, but at least the guest room is now the only place where loose papers are kept, and just maybe he´ll start filing/culling them soon.
That guest bed is actually one of the items on the decluttering schedule, too. The only time we´ve ever used it was whenever MIL came to visit. As that won´t happen again due to the fact that she doesn´t travel any more, this bed definitely is a big piece of clutter now. Were we to remove it, we´d be richer by two square meters of prime real estate in that room, which in turn might allow us to do some major rearranging in there- or, at least, to remove the laundry rack, when in use, from the living room to the former guest room, which could, then, become the official laundry drying and ironing room.
The problem being that we spent good bucks on a new mattress for that bed just three years ago, and that thing is still almost unused. But if I calculate how much it costs to rent and heat those two square meters of apartment, I guess the poor return of investment for that mattress shouldn´t keep us from doing away with it. After all, we´re still thinking about making the guest room over into a master bedroom, and then that bed would be a major obstacle, too. And the positive effect of removing things has by now been more than amply proven in the living room. If I could motivate DH to cull the contents of his den, maybe we´ll be able to do the redecorating this year, yet. We´ll see.....


Julia

No comments: