2012/08/27

Shopping bags

Ever so often, even if we are trying to cut down on grocery shopping, there comes a day when the pantry needs restocking, so we drive to the local equivalent of Costco and get us a carload of frozen veggies, canned beans, bottles of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and of course a load of milk products, too, while we´re at it.
All that stuff goes into our insulated grocery shopping bags. These are big enough to put a bottle crate into one, so there´s plenty of room inside. When they are filled, they are rather heavy.
So there we were unloading the car after our shopping trip, and I remarked to DH how heavy the bag I was just handling felt, and that I had lost more than the equivalent of two of those, wondering aloud at the fact that I had, back then, been able to climb the three flights of stairs to our flat at all.
DH looked at the bags and said, no way could I have had that much extra baggage on me.
So, before unpacking, we put the bags on the scales.
It turned out that it wasn´t two of them, it was all three, fully loaded, which together equalled about the weight I have already recondensed.
I stood there, looking at the bags, picking them up from the floor to feel their weight.
And I remembered what it had felt like to have all that condensable matter on my body, sticking to me, weighing me down. 
I don´t ever want to be back in that place.


Julia

No comments: