2011/12/15

Storm warning ahead

Looks like we´re going to expect one of the worst storms in the last years tomorrow. Luckily, the town I live in is situated at the bottom of a valley, so we might be spared from the worst, but still, this means that after two unseasonably warm months that felt more like spring than like autumn, winter is finally coming.
I´m glad that my car has been serviced recently, and I can be certain there´s enough antifreeze inside. We also have a parking lot in a closed garage, so, no danger of any shingles, branches or such hitting our car.
As for weatherproof apparel, I still have last winter´s coats which still serve me well and allow for layering sweaters and vests underneath.
Over lunch break, I went looking for a new winter hat, since the ones I already have are either not covering my ears or looking more than a bit silly. When I was fat, any hat would look silly over my then rather round face, but now that my face isn´t looking like the full moon with a double chin any more, I´d rather not wear these any more.
What I found was a hat shaped like a russian tchapka, with downturnable ear flaps, made from leather with a fake fur lining. The best thing about it was that, due to sales of winter garments having been poor because of the too-warm weather, the shops are already downmarking the winter stuff, so, I got it at a discount, too. At home, I´m going to treat the leather with leather spray, so this hat will also be waterproof. And I hope I´ll be able to wear it for some years to come.
We´ll see if the rest of winter is going to make up for the too-mild weather before. While I like a white Christmas as much as anyone else, I hope we- and all the other people visiting their families- won´t have to drive there through snow and ice.
Apart that, right now, at the office there´s a bad case of what they call December fever going round- everyone is feverishly pulling together loose ends in time for year-end statistics! Including myself, which means I have a bit less time for this blog than usually.
And I´ll have to get my Christmas shopping done this weekend, which means finishing the meal planning, too. Oh to be Robinson Crusoe...he had all his work done by Friday :).


Julia


No comments: