2011/12/20

No frost wardrobe

It´s getting colder hereabouts, and basically, it would be time to pull out the warm winter sweaters and jackets. Only this year, I have a little technical problem there. My warmest sweaters, those that only came out when it was really cold, were all from the time when I was at my top weight. Thus, they had become way too big, hanging down to my knees, so I donated them this spring so that somebody else might still get some use out of them. I thought, at the time, that it would be no problem getting new ones to fit me this winter.
Alas, I find myself in the wrong. I just made a beeline through the shops, only to find that this year´s fashion seems to be made for a somewhat warmer climate. Would you imagine I did not find a single warm sweater in my size? Same thing for jackets. I was looking for some cozy down jacket or something of that kind that I could wear whenever my usual long coat would be impractical, and all they had were jackets that were so flimsy and cheaply made that wearing them at temperatures below freezing would be a certain way to catch pneumonia.
I am, at present, quite angry at the fashion industry. If it weren´t for my vintage coat that still fits me, I would be out of winter wardrobe with no way to replace it. With me, that´s because I have condensed myself, but what, for example, about young girls who have outgrown their old jackets?  Every woman who doesn´t have an old coat to tide her over this year´s fashion is, by decree of the fashion industry, sentenced to one winter of shivering.
Hey there, fashion designers, just because winter is arriving late this year, that´s no guarantee it will stay that warm till spring!
Guess I´ll just have to take advantage of the fact that I still have a somewhat wider coat and a winter blazer in my former (bigger) size, and then put on layers to keep from freezing if it were to get cold. And hope that next year´s fashion will be more sensible.


Julia

No comments: