For a long time, purchasing trousers was one of the things I passionately hated to do.
Going into a shop, finding the rack that held the biggest size pants they sold, picking a pair and going into the dressing room. Avoiding the sight of my legs and b*tt in the mirror, stepping into those pants only to find they were impossible to pull up any higher than my knees. Stepping out of them again, putting the pants I arrived in back on, leave shop for another that might have a bigger size to offer. Rinse, wash, repeat.
When I discovered a line of plus size pants that would fit me, I quit trying on any others, just buying the same pair of pants over and over again, in ever-growing sizes. On the way down with my weight, still those same pants, this time in decreasing sizes. And the knowledge that, with successfully condensing myself, the day was near when the smallest size of those plus-sized pants would cease to fit me, and then what next?
As I am approaching the point of no longer being obese, the dreaded moment has arrived. Thus, on Saturday, I found myself standing in the middle of a dozen pants racks in a shop that stocks every garment in normal through plus sizes, wondering just which ones to try on first so as to not end up frustrated at the first try.
I actually didn´t have the slightest idea what size I need now, so, the way into the dressing room couldn´t be avoided this time. So, gingerly, I grabbed several pairs of size XL jeans and tried them on and...
...they fit! All of them, actually. I was able to pull them up, button them, and close the zippers.
Hey, I haven´t worn that size since the last millenium! I know, it´s still "X"L, but when you have had 3XL or 4XL in a brand that is also vanity sizing its products (meaning you have to add at least another "X" to realistically compare them to regularly sized brands), being rid of the numbers before the "X" is enough to make you dizzy.
So, I ended up taking home three pairs of form-fitting trousers, which ought to take me through another couple of pounds´ loss.
What I couldn´t resist, of course, was pulling out the same style trousers in my old size and look at them. Just seeing how big the seat of those looked made me cringe. That had been me. That was where those sixty-plus pounds had been. Holding up the ones that fit me now, I still have trouble adjusting to the fact that I really, actually can fit my body into these, but boy, it feels good to see them.
And wear them, of course, without those droopy bottoms, and with the knowledge that I am back to a size I have last worn before becoming obese.
This feels good.
Julia
No comments:
Post a Comment