It´s cold outside. Cold enough to freeze some important parts off a brass monkey, as they say.
And the sweater problem still hasn´t been solved.
So, I have gone to work lately wearing a woolen vest over a turtleneck sweater, topping it off with MIL´s hand-me-down fur parka. Warm enough as it is, but the fur parka is a bit of a pain. For one, I can´t use my usual knapsack or anything with a shoulder strap with it so as not to break off the fur. So, I have to carry my netbook inside what is usually my overnighter bag that can be carried using one hand. If one is used to having one´s hands free, that´s quite a nuisance. Besides, the thing sheds worse than one of those hungarian shepherd dogs, so, my dark-blue woolen vest looks as if I´d recently acquired canine company.
So, the thing is somewhat impractical to wear. And it totally doesn´t match my usually simple style. Top that off with the fact that, cold or not, I´m right now the only person at the office wearing fur, and therefore drawing quite a bit of unwelcome attention to myself, I´d rather wear a simple down jacket or something like that. Except I don´t own one. The ones I had were decluttered when they became decidedly too big after condensing off a good part of excess weight, and the ones offered at the beginning of winter were too flimsily made to even think about them as a possible solution.
Enter the end-of-season sales. Fifty percent off all winter jackets. And they do have some jackets that are a lot better than the ones in December.
Then again, it´s February already, which means that the big cold will, probably, last no more than two months at the most before it gets warm enough to return to wearing my woolen coats.
And by the time winter returns, I fully intend to have gone on condensing myself by at least another dress size. More, if possible. Were I to buy myself a jacket now, it would probably be too big by next winter (at least I hope so), so, by buying now, I´d cheat myself out of the experience of buying a jacket in a smaller size and wear it next winter.
Then again, I might have to pay retail for next year´s jacket if I were to need it before it gets downmarked.
It´s d..d if you do and d...d if you don´t.
Or is it? Even if that fur parka is so darn inconvenient, it´s what I have now, and won´t have to pay for, either. So, from a point of frugality, the best solution would be to keep using it and stop whining about how uncomfortable it is. And practice a little gratitude considering that without that thing, I´d be a lot colder this winter.
Besides, I´d be able to use a really warm down jacket for maybe one or two months before it gets too warm to wear it. And that is a timespan during which I can stand the inconvenience of wearing that fur parka.
And for the next winter, I can always reconsider buying a down jacket.
Being in the process of recondensing myself means not knowing what size I´ll need next winter. Thus, it would be stupid to buy now.
For everyone who intends to be the same size next winter, there may be some real occasions to be had right now. But that´s something I don´t intend, so, I´ll wait and see which size I have to buy by next winter. And save myself from buying another garment that would end up on the decluttering stash barely worn.
After all, I have resolved that I would only buy the absolute necessities in garments while still in transition to my goal weight. Everything else would mean throwing out money. Even at half price.
Julia
No comments:
Post a Comment