From what the weather guys are telling us, Father Frost from Russia is about to drop by for a visit in our usually benign middle European climate. So, I took my fur-lined jacket out today, and the warm tchapka I got myself before Christmas. Before anybody flames me for wearing fur- the tchapka is made from fake fur, and the jacket is a hand-me-down from MIL, so, as those animals were probably dead before I was born, and I acquired it as a gift, I think it´s doing more honor to the shades of the original owners of those pelts to wear the jacket than it would have been to throw it out. Besides, what with the momentarily limited range of my wardrobe due to those sixty pounds I lost, it also is the warmest jacket I own, a lot warmer than my woolen coats. With temperatures of twenty degrees centigrade below zero in the forecast, it will also be necessary.
After all, those sixty pounds lost mean I lost a major part of my body´s insulating fat layer. I had noticed already that I feel the cold a lot more intensely than when at my top weight. But then again, that´s what slim people wear sweaters for, isn´t it?
The weekend, with some heavy snowfalls, was spent at home. Once again, frugality and weightloss were clashing, because the best-by dates on some not-so-healthy stuff in the fridge (namely some salami and sausages) were running out. I decided to go off the wagon for the weekend and use those up in two traditional recipes that are, unfortunately, rather greasy and carby. The resulting two-pound uptick was expected, and I hope it will be back off by the end of the week.
If somebody says here, why did you have that stuff in your fridge at all, these were leftovers from MIL´s visit, intended to be used up then, so, the most I´ll plead guilty to here is poor meal planning.
The jump in weight, disproportionally again to the total amount of calories ingested, once more drove home that the common potato- a main ingredient in most of the traditional dishes hereabouts- to me is sheer weight poison. If I want to keep having some of the good taste of childhood, I´ll have to find ways to take the potatoes out of those recipes, or at least greatly reduce the amount.
Anyway, what´s left in my fridge is more diet-friendly, as in chicken breast and vegetables, so, I´ll just have to avoid buying junk again.
I don´t know if it´s the cold, but I have found myself craving greasy food (as in bacon) a lot more than usual. That´s another trip I have to get off, or else I´ll keep going over my calories.
But then again, I had my fill of some of the traditional favorites over the weekend, so, abstaining from them again might have become a bit easier.
And maybe I´ll use more calories when it´s that cold.....
Julia
No comments:
Post a Comment