2011/11/01

Incredibly shrinking

Unfortunately, it´s not horizontal but vertical shrinkage I discovered this weekend.
On a whim, I made DH help me measure exactly how tall I am. The result was not what I had expected, as the exact measurement was several centimeters less than what I had measured the last time, which means that gravity and all of that condensable matter must have compressed my spine a bit more than I thought.
Back to the calculating board- at my present size I need to take off about five more kilograms than I thought to get below morbid obesity (BMI 30), and my highest ever weight translates to a BMI of 41. So, the happy day when I will be able to say that I am just overweight, not obese, has just slipped several weeks into the future.  But at the rate I´ve been losing, it´s still attainable within 2011.That is also my revised goal for this year. I want to start 2012 no longer obese.
The line for getting back to normal weight has also gone down by almost ten pounds.
Finding out that I was -and am- even fatter than I thought has been a bit of a downer.
But there have been some positive things, too.
First, the kitchen decluttering project.
There´s been some major reshuffling done in my cupboards, and the happy result was that two sets of 40 cm-diameter charger plates that used to live on top of my microwave for want of a better place now have found a home in the cabinet that used to house the redundant microwave dishes.
And we have spent a wonderful weekend. Monday was a bank holiday where I live, and we took advantage of it by visiting an exhibition of historical statues and stonecuttery in a city about an hour´s drive away. The exhibition was wonderful, with originals and casts of medieval works of art that we ordinarily would have to travel through most of Europe to see, all gathered in one place. As wonderful was being able to walk through that exhibition for about eight hours in total, wearing ordinary shoes, not using crutches, and not have my feet hurt in the end. It would have been impossible for me to do, last year and all those years before.
Can you see how I am still elated about this?
Experiences like that drive home just how much joy of living my excess weight has been taking away from me for a long while, and they are a good reminder of how far I have come these last two years.
In case I forgot.


Julia

No comments: