As I mentioned earlier, yesterday was a legal holiday in Germany, and the weather, for once, was quite celebratory, too.
DH being out of town, I took the chance to go at the housework that had been left undone over the weekend.
And I found out that sometimes, having the right tools equals the difference between impossible and possible.
Namely, about four years ago the entrance door to our flat had come off its hinges (I guess the workers who installed it didn´t properly fix it in the first place), and, when forcing it open so we could get in, we had left an ugly semi-circle of black markings on the laminate floor from the door scratching against the ground. These had, until now, proved resistant to every method of removal, and I had already assumed that they were damages to the top layer of the floor.
Now, some weeks ago I had discovered a new kind of microfibre cloth at our local drugstore, with a "scratchy" side that doesn´t abrade. These had already helped to get some glue marks off our window sills that the workers who built the place had left, and which also had withstood years of scrubbing at them with other instruments. With the sun shining into our corridor yesterday, those black marks on the floor stood out even more than usual, so I decided to try and remove them.
Ten minutes of elbow grease, fortified by plastic cleaner, later- the supposed scratches had proved to be rub-off from the door insulation, and entirely removable.
Which means that I have a clean entrance again and don´t have to be greeted by something that looks broken any more when coming home.
And I also removed the last of our winter coats from the corridor wardrobe to their respective places inside our freshly aired-out and wiped-down closets. This time, I put moth paper into each coat pocket, as I definitely don´t want another surprise of the holey kind in autumn.
I´m typing this with the windows wide open, and right now, a big fat bumblebee came in, made a beeline around the desk, and flew out again.
Smack in the middle of a city, no less.
As for weight loss, my weight is still going down slowly. But the changes to my body are becoming more evident. Witness the white blouse I´m wearing today. Last year, it was tight-fitting. This year, it´s so wide that I have to button up my leather vest to avoid getting indecent exposure- or wear a tank top beneath, which pretty much nixes the appeal of a white cotton blouse as far as coolness of material is concerned.
NSV of the day: When I sat up in bed this morning, I was looking down at my legs- which look about half as wide as they used to look, but then I flexed my feet a bit and- could actually see my calf muscles move!
For a long time, there was so much fat on my calves that those muscles had been completely hidden from view, so this is a major success.
And the scales say just 27 pounds to go until I am, by BMI, normal-weighted again. More than two thirds of the way, gone.
And I am going onwards.
Julia
No comments:
Post a Comment