2011/05/30

Tell that to the marines...

There are some things that one shouldn´t do in a hurry. I found out this weekend that cutting one´s hair is one of them. I wear my hair rather short for practical reasons, and do my own haircut with an electric buzzer every two or three months or so. Now, on Friday morning I decided to give my ´do a quick once-over at the longest setting. Without putting my glasses on. So I only realized that the plastic part that keeps the blades at the correct cutting distance from my scalp wasn´t where it should be when I had already cut an ugly stripe across the top of my head.
I did cut the remaining hair rather short to minmize the difference, but the damage is done. And the resulting hairdo looks a lot like what you see on soldiers right after entering boot camp....
The kicker being that I have to stay presentable for professional reasons. So, the first way, after donning an old knit cap that I found in a drawer somewhere, was to the mall for some knit basques which will cover up the damage until my hair has grown in again.The alternative, calling in sick, was out of the question.
I only hope that it´s true what they say about hair growing faster in summer.
Until then I´ll have to put up with these hats.
And the curious stares of people who wonder why I am wearing them.
And all that for a short moment of inattention.
Luckily, DH was rather sympathetic. But he insists I grow my hair a bit longer next time...:).
The lesson from that? I must, obviously, never do anything without my glasses on.

As for diet and decluttering, nothing much happened over the weekend.
I managed not to overeat too badly in spite of being mega frustrated, but apart from that, the whole weekend was spent doing laundry. And enjoying our little balcony garden.
The herbs and geraniums have taken root nicely. In the evening, the fragance from the potted rosemary and lavender bushes perfumes the air. I´m glad we have rediscovered this piece of paradise this year. We even had breakfast and dinner outside yesterday.
I´m lucky to have some days off already planned for so I´ll be able to stay away from the office for about a week and a half, and I just hope the uncalled-for crew cut will have grown  out a bit by then.
As it is, I probably need that time off. That kind of careless mistake is what happens when you´re exhausted.
So, some rest and recreation is well in order.

Hoping there´ll not be any more catastrophes pending....

Julia

No comments: