2013/12/10

Results Typical

My weight has been doing somersaults again. Yesterday I saw 89 kilos which is a number I had hoped I would never see again, meaning as it does a full 10 kilogram regain. Today, I was back down at 87,6 kilos, which is still way too much. 
Dragging around 20 superfluous kilograms of fat is wearing me down quite a bit. My back and my knees are once more screaming in protest, which means that I am even less inclined to use the stairs at the office. It also does a number on my sleep as I find it increasingly difficult to find a position that does not hurt. The resulting fatigue comes on top of that which dragging around all of that blubber gives me anyway. 
Of course, as usual, there´s a bad case of December fever going round, meaning that the number of urgent things to be dealt with has skyrocketed. I don´t know if I can get everything done before the holidays require my presence with family. Not a good thing. And not conducive to being able to restrict my eating either. 
One third of what I had lost has by now found me again. If I look at statistics about the average success rate of weight loss, I am still ahead. But if I could not stop the regain, I´d be back among the "typical results" very soon. 
So what- cut out the carbs, step up my water (or unsweetened tea) intake, and hope for the best. The more drastic measures will have to wait until after Christmas. Stepping into the new year that far above morbid obesity was not what I planned on. But if I want to stay functional, the drastic measures I´d obviously need to shock my body back into losing mode are out of the question. 
The interesting part is that I can precisely date the point where the maintenance I had achieved suddenly became a rapid regain. 
Namely, the first week of June. The time when we had the inundation, were off the grid and had to subsist on bread and fast food for two weeks. 
Had I known then what would ensue, I would have gone on a two-week fast instead. 
What still stymies me is that these two weeks seem to have turned a switch in my body from "lose" to "gain", and that any attempts I have made since to switch that back again seem to have had absoultely no effect whatsoever on the rate of regain. 
Half a pound a week, on average. Like clockwork. My Fat Watch curve goes up practically in a straight line.
And it´s not as if I had been on a six-month binge. 
What with the fatigue I am constantly fighting, I am even afraid to lower my intake further lest I make that worse by missing out on nutritients. 
For the most time, I actually stay below the recommended daily intake for my size/gender/weight/ activity level. 
If the body really is an accountability machine, mine got damaged during the flood. 
It´s not easy to not give up the hope that it might still be repairable. 


Julia

No comments: