2013/12/12

Stop Wa(i)sting Time

The sight of those 89 kilos on the scale at the beginning of the week has been a much-needed wake-up call. I simply cannot afford to procrastinate on getting my body out of gaining mode and back to recondensing, because the task is getting harder with every day I allow the regain to continue. 
What I have done the last days is going on a round of meal replacement shakes only during the daytime, plus my usual bacon-and-eggs breakfast and reduced portions of what is for dinner. No bread, as little carbs as possible. 
The reward is a two-kilogram loss by today, down to 87 kilos. 
I know, the powdered stuff isn´t optimal. But if it manages to really turn that weight switch back to losing, I´ll bear with the disadvantages. 
As it is, I have started to prepare those shakes at home and bring them to the office in a thermos, which  means that I won´t have to fight the temptation of getting something else to eat just because I´m not feeling like having to clean up the shaker afterwards (which at my office means having to carry that thing all along the corridor to the tea kitchen at the remote end). Sometimes the thought of having to do that was enough to drive me to the cookie jar instead. 
If I do not do something I know I ought to, it pays to look at the things that make it harder to do it and, if possible, to remove the obstacles. 
In this case, that meant looking for suitable containers to carry the shakes in. One wide-mouth aluminium bottle was still sitting in my cupboard, so that one is used for one portion of the shakes, and then I found a sale on some nifty stainless steel (so no BPA-containing coating) thermos cups originally intended for coffee. They are, in contrast to most coffee-to-go cups one sees, absolutely spillproof, meaning they may be thrown into my bag every which way without emptying their contents all over whatever I carry in there. One of them is already in use, and I plan on getting another one over lunch break (they still are pretty expensive, so I wanted to try out one first before paying for two of them). 
If I ever were to stop having to carry protein shakes to the office, they can be returned to their originally intended use as coffee containers. 
In any case, if I bought pre-prepared shakes of the same brand I now have as powder that must be mixed up, I´d have to pay two euros for one single bottle. The powder comes at seven euros for a ten-portion supply. So the new thermos cups would pay their way within less than three weeks. Besides, I could even go back to preparing my own shakes including fruit and berries and bring them to the office. As I have no blender at the office, fruit as an ingredient was not possible for any shakes prepared there. Being able to carry a full workday´s supply of prepared shakes means being able to incorporate real food into what I can eat there. 
And the thermos cups are small enough not to become a nuisance by themselves, so it is less likely that I might discontinue carrying them to the office than with a single big container. 
DH will be out of town for a few days next week, which means that I can do a full day´s worth of just the shakes without any additional foods. Perhaps that will get my recondensing switch back to "execute".
Never give up hope.


Julia

No comments: