2013/02/04

Planning (not) to fail

That number on my bioimpendance scales has been scaring me quite a bit.
So, more than half of what I have recondensed by now is NOT fat.
Which goes a long way towards explaining why I have lately had the feeling that moving my body around has not become easier in proportion to the weight I lost. I must have lost too much muscle, actually.
Which means I will have to start exercising to build muscle, or at least minimize further losses (the amount of lean tissue remaining with me being, mathematically, exactly how much lean mass I would have at goal weight at 25 per cent body fat).

Which in turn engendered some purchases over the weekend. Mark Lauren's books on bodyweight exercise and a pair of new Adidas trainers, my old running/walking shoes having had their cushioning squished flat by some thirty kilograms more of me.
What I am still lacking, considering that we have a completely carpetless floor, is some kind of gymnastics or yoga mat to do those bodyweight exercises on that require going down on the floor to kneel or lie down for. Learning to do pushups will, for me who has almost no upper body strength, be difficult enough without adding the discomfort of an ice-cold hard surface beneath me. So that's what will be my next purchase.
I know that my present fitness level is somewhat below zero, but in that case, any exercise would be better than none, wouldn't it? So I am preparing myself mentally for failing miserably at my first attempts at those exercises, knowing that these will probably the worst I'll ever make.
Yes, I will fail. But what counts is having a chance of working up to the point I no longer need to fail. The point where my body will finally be able to execute those movements properly.

Even if it takes awhile.


Julia

No comments: