2012/06/20

Hot pants reloaded

Losing roundabout seventy pounds of fat has by now taken me down six clothes sizes. The most amazing thing about that being that I used to need a bigger size in bottoms than in tops. Not so any longer- I´m down to a German size 21 in pants, and size 22 in tops and jackets, which doesn´t cease to amaze me- I would never have expected my lower half to shrink further than my upper one.
Not that I don´t enjoy that, but the recondensing of my fat bottom has gone so fast that I didn´t get too much wear out of the size 22 pants I bought when I needed that size. Thus, these ended up in the wardrobe, almost unworn. I had tried the boil-and-shrink treatment on two light-colored pairs to no avail. But I still had two other pairs of dark denims, which I had hesitated to wash at the highest setting because I was afraid they might get too washed-out.
Still, having spent the money on them just to have them relegated to the back of the closet kept vexing me. At their original size, they had become so baggy as to be practically unwearable.
So, this weekend I finally bit the bullet and threw them in the washing machine, at the highest possible setting.
Guess what, these did shrink. Quite exactly by the equivalent to one and a half clothes size. Which makes them, right now, the best-fitting denims I own.
As I still tend to wear through the inside of my pants legs (I have done that even before getting fat, it´s something to do with the way I walk), I had been watching my only pair of size 21 denims with some apprehension for the appearance of that dreaded surface of worn-through cloth.
Now, I have three pairs of dark denims that fit me, which means that I will be able to forgo pants shopping for awhile yet. Actually, I am now saving my size 21 jeans because if I do recondense by another size, I´ll just give them the same treatment and voila- size 20 jeans! All for the price of a load of laundry.
Perhaps I should try to shrink the lighter ones some more, too.
The thing being that I would, formerly, just have given away those perfectly good pants and bought new ones in the smaller size.
But this is so much better.
Waste not, want not.


Julia

No comments: