In case you wonder, I haven´t taken up pugilistics. But a fight I did have over the weekend, namely with a stack of big rolling plastic containers that are supposed to go under beds to store stuff.
What with my decluttering project going on for several years now (and still not finished), most of these boxes had become redundant and relegated to the cellar, pending a decision on their fate.
Now, whenever I moved in the past, I had been preferring to use plastic containers over cardboard boxes. The ones from the last move are still in our cellar, stacked on top of and into each other. Most are also empty. The under-the-bed boxes had joined the lot because I thought I might use them if ever I were to move again.
This weekend, we had decided to do a bit of cellar decluttering, and those boxes were the first thing that came to mind. I don´t ever intend to stuff boxes of clutter under my beds again- bad feng shui, and besides they just collect dust and make the place harder to clean. So what about using them when moving- a box that is as wide as a bed and just two hands wide in depth might hold some items, but in all honesty these would be a b**ch to carry when loaded.
So what were they good for- absolutely nothing, except add to the clutter in the basement.
Which is why they went to the local recycling pickup place, along with a whole heap of reusable shopping bags that had accumulated over time, as in "I need just one more bag to carry this weekend´s shopping" or "drat, forgot to bring my bag, now how do I carry these heavy glass bottles home?". Whenever I have too many of those bags, I put them in the cellar to await the next recycling run.
The result of Saturday´s activities is by no means a tidy basement. But I did gain a lot of space back, which might just make going through the non-empty containers down there a bit easier.
Every bit helps.
Julia
No comments:
Post a Comment