2013/09/05

Roller coaster

Up two, down two. Or up three, down one, up one, down one, up two...
No, I have not been pigging out on vanilla pudding or fries. I haven´t eaten any fast food. I have not been eating myself into a food coma. And I haven´t, at least that I noticed, eaten more than I did while I was losing. Nor did I miss any things in the morning that were in my fridge when I went to sleep. 
Still. I have gained over three kilos in the last three months. 
The regain started when I had been forced to eat more carbs while we were off the grid due to the flood in June. After that, it´s been an uphill fight, first against the carb cravings induced by having to eat bread for a week, and by now against my body having switched back into gaining mode. 
I did have a similar experience two years ago. Back then, it was carelessness about my diet that started it. Being pushed into an upward spiral by a natural desaster makes for quite an irony. Mind you, while we were off the grid and without clean water I could not cook. I could not store food that had to be kept cool. I could not wash any vegetables. I honestly don´t know what else I could have eaten than what I did, unless I had been going out to eat every single time which just wasn´t in the budget after losing all of my food stores because the freezer wasn´t working while electricity was off.And don´t get me started about roughing it- there´s a difference between being outside in the clean outdoors, with plenty of space for a campfire to cook on and clear water nearby, or being stuck in a city apartment with no gas or electricity and a safety warning for the drinking water out. What I ended up relying on was highly stockable, ready-to-eat things. If you guess that means carbohydrates as in cookies and highly processed foods, you´re right. 
The damages I am fighting now are ample proof as to how harmful that stuff is to me. 
I had so hoped not to become one of the statistics  that claim most successful losers gain it all back. 
As per now, I am still within a range others would call maintenance. But I know that what I am really in is the danger zone. I will have to keep working at getting out of it. 
And carbs are the first thing that will have to go. 


Julia

No comments: